As many of our students are remote, we have a continual struggle with waiting times and access to services. Sometimes it can take months to get a referral to an audiologist not to mention the lost work time and travel costs; It is fantastic to have access to something like Sound Scouts that is evidence-based and doesn't require teachers to travel long distances.
Sound Scouts at your School
The World Health Organisation recommends that all children should have their hearing screened around the time they start school.
- Every child starting school should have their hearing tested and ideally again in Year 3 & Year 5 in line with NAPLAN.
- Any child identified with learning or behavioural problems should have their hearing tested.
Children need to be able to hear clearly in order to learn. If children can’t hear their teacher in a noisy classroom environment they will struggle to learn. Consequences of undetected hearing loss for the child include delays in speech and language development, lack of phonological awareness and difficulty reading, trouble in social situations and increased risk of academic failure.
Sound Scouts has been designed to test children’s hearing from 4 years and older.
- Developed in collaboration with the National Acoustic Laboratories & recommended by Australian Hearing
- Accessible & immediate - Test & results delivered on tablet or mobile phone.
- Tests for the 3 main types of hearing issues - Provides clinically reliable results for conductive and sensorineural hearing loss and an indication of auditory processing disorder.
- Care pathway advice when a problem is detected.
- Child’s attention is fully engaged.
Accepted as a referral by Australian Hearing when sensorineural hearing loss is identified. Any responsible adult, ideally with good hearing, can set up and supervise testing.
Sound Scouts takes the form of a fun, interactive game that encourages the child to participate. The game is played on a tablet or mobile phone, with the child wearing a good quality set of headphones. Sound Scouts brings together gamification of hearing testing, world leading acoustic technology and the simplicity of app delivery. Sound Scouts is available on the App Store and Google Play.
Click Here to access the resources for schools.
Sound Scouts identified a hearing issue in my son, which we followed up on with Australian Hearing. He was recommended a hearing aid system which he wore to school for the first time today. I have a different boy tonight. After school he is usually cranky and on edge and needs to be alone. Today he was relaxed, happy and joking around. He said he could hear the instructions in music class for the first time ever.
Even when I knew that Summer had speech problems, I didn't really think it would affect her too much at school. However, seeing the hearing test results on the screen for myself after she had played Sound Scouts, it brought home the importance of the situation, and made it easier for me to accept that Summer would need a hearing aid to help her hear in the classroom.
I am going back into the classroom next year and I will certainly be spreading the word about Sound Scouts at my school. So many times throughout my teaching career I have questioned a child's hearing and this app will allow us to provide parents with data to encourage them to seek further advice..
Provide accessible hearing testing
- Sound Scouts enables you to check every child’s hearing at your school efficiently and reliably, without access to hearing professionals, through an engaging game that incorporates advanced hearing science. Each test provides a report and guidance on next steps.
Easily to set up and supervise
- Sound Scouts is delivered on an iPad or Android tablet or mobile phone for use with a good set of headphones. Any adult, ideally with known good hearing, can set up and supervise testing. Each test provides a report, accessible on the device and sent via email, that details the results of the test and provides guidance on next steps if a problem is detected.
Convenient in school testing
- Sound Scouts testing can provide an indication of the most likely type of hearing problem for each child (sensorineural loss, conductive loss, or auditory processing disorder / language disorder) and the type of professional that the parent/caregiver should consult.
A trusted solution
- Sound Scouts has been developed in collaboration with the National Acoustic Laboratories, a world leader in hearing assessment and rehabilitation. It is recommended and accepted as a referral by Australian Hearing and supported by NSW Health.
Sound Scouts HQ
Tel:+61 2 9460 6768
Crows Nest NSW 2065