As many of our students are remote, we have a continual struggle with waiting times and access to services. Sometimes it can take months to get a referral to an audiologist not to mention the lost work time and travel costs; It is fantastic to have access to something like Sound Scouts that is evidence-based and doesn't require teachers to travel long distances.
The importance of testing
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that all children should have their hearing screened around the time they start school.
Children use their hearing to learn about the world around them and develop communication skills. This in turn affects their relationships with family and friends, their education, and future employment. The impact of hearing loss on a developing child can be significant, so the sooner issues are detected, and treatment or management is provided, the better chance a child has of living a normal life.
Hearing issues can develop at any age, so it’s important to be aware of the key signs displayed by a child if they have a hearing problem.
Signs of hearing loss:
- Does your child speak louder than others?
- Does your child turn the TV up too loud?
- Does your child often say ‘what’ or ‘huh’?
- Does your child have trouble pronouncing words?
- Does your child struggle at school?
- Does your child have trouble hearing in noisy places?
- Does your child lose focus in noisy places?
Why use Sound Scouts?
If you selected YES for one or more of these questions, it is recommended that you test your child’s hearing. Hearing issues may result from a number of conditions including conductive loss, sensorineural loss or auditory processing disorders. Early detection of hearing issues, followed by the appropriate treatment gives a child the best opportunity to achieve their full potential.
Prices begins at $14.99 per test session (App Store & Google Play In-App Purchases)
Test affordably and reliably
- Sound Scouts enables you to check your child’s hearing without leaving home. You can download the app and trial it for free. Then if you want the reassurance of knowing your child can hear clearly, you can make an in-app purchase for a hearing test session.
Convenient at-home testing
- Taking time off work to attend a diagnostic hearing appointment without an initial hearing screen may be inconvenient and costly. Sound Scouts enables children's hearing to be checked at home affordably and reliably, at a time that's suitable for the whole family.
Easy to set up and supervise
- Sound Scouts is delivered on an iPad or Android tablet or mobile phone and is played using a good set of headphones. Any adult, ideally with known good hearing, can set up and supervise testing. Each test provides a report, accessible on the device and sent via email, that details the results of the test and provides guidance on next steps if a problem is detected.
A trusted solution
- Sound Scouts has been developed in collaboration with the National Acoustic Laboratories, a world leader in hearing assessment and rehabilitation. It is recommended and accepted as a referral by Australian Hearing and supported by NSW Health.
Sound Scouts HQ
Tel:+61 2 9460 6768
Suite 107/4 Clarke Street
Crows Nest NSW 2065
Sound Scouts identified a hearing issue in my son, which we followed up on with Australian Hearing. He was recommended a hearing aid system which he wore to school for the first time today. I have a different boy tonight. After school he is usually cranky and on edge and needs to be alone. Today he was relaxed, happy and joking around. He said he could hear the instructions in music class for the first time ever.
Even when I knew that Summer had speech problems, I didn't really think it would affect her too much at school. However, seeing the hearing test results on the screen for myself after she had played Sound Scouts, it brought home the importance of the situation, and made it easier for me to accept that Summer would need a hearing aid to help her hear in the classroom.
I am going back into the classroom next year and I will certainly be spreading the word about Sound Scouts at my school. So many times throughout my teaching career I have questioned a child's hearing and this app will allow us to provide parents with data to encourage them to seek further advice..